Changing Your Surname?

Everything you need to get for your new last name

In the United Kingdom, you can change any part of your entire name, including your surname, by Deed Poll.

The process for changing your surname is very straightforward and simple. You can also change the surname of your child if you have parental responsibility for the child.

There are a few options to consider when changing surnames, and most of them happen as a result of a marriage. 

If you don't have any questions about changing your surname and you want to get started on your deed poll order, click on the button below



Changing Your Surname

If you are a British citizen, you have the right to use and be known by any name you choose as long as you have proper documentation to prove your new name.

You can decide to change your surname for a wide variety of reasons. One of the common ones is marriage, where one partner might choose to take the surname of the other partner, or they both decide to create a new double-barreled surname. If a person decided to add the partner’s name next to their own, they can choose whether they will use a hyphen between or not. 

Also, people might decide to change their surname after their marriage terminated. In the case of a divorce or separation, a person can choose whether they want to revert to their family name.

A person can change their forename, middle name or their surname at any point of their lifetime, as long as they are at the legal age for changing their name on their own.

In the United Kingdom, a person needs to be 18 years of age if they want to change their name without consent from their parents or anybody with parental responsibility for them. If there has been a change in the name, record holders need to be informed about it. 

How to Change Your Name

Luckily, changing a surname is a simple and quick process. As a result of marriage or a civil partnership, a person might take the name of their spouse or partner, and to do that, all that is necessary is to provide a copy of the marriage or civil partnership certificate to the record holders, including the passport office, bank, DVLA, etc. 

Although some organization will accept a marriage or civil partnership certificate as a proof of the surname change, others might require an official document, such as a Deed Poll, to prove your change of name. When changing your name by Deed Poll, it will confirm that you have given up your old name and decided to use a new name instead. This new name should be used for all future purposes.

How can you change your surname on your documents and records? The Deed Poll needs to be signed and witnessed, and it will be used when changing your name on your passport, driving licence and other important documents. (Check out our flipbook guide for other common questions to changing your name).

However, to get a Deed Poll, you will need to be aged 16 or over, under most circumstances. Those who are below that limit will need to get consent from everyone with parental responsibility. 

Anybody who is 16 years old or above should send their documents, include a copy of the Deed Poll, evidence of British citizenship and their marriage or divorce documents to the Royal Courts of Justice. The process of changing a surname by Deed Poll can be completed within just a few weeks, even less if you decide to use a service. 

The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram