Once you receive your Deed Poll, you must sign it and have it witnessed. The legal term for this is “execution".

We will send a document along with your Deed Poll that will tell you how to execute your Deed Poll (and any duplicate copies) so that your change of name becomes fully valid. It is solely your responsibility to ensure that this takes place. The procedure is relatively simple and the following basic rules apply:

*** If you have your witnesses already and want to start your deed poll order click on the button below:



  • If you are British and a resident in mainland UK or Northern Ireland, your witness must be aged 18 or over.
  • Your witness must know you, and not be suffering from any mental incapacity.
  • Your witness must be independent of you. As such, your witness can be a friend, neighbour or colleague, but they may not be a relative, your partner, or someone you live with.
  • Your witness must be present when you sign your Deed Poll
  • If you are British and are living abroad (or anywhere other than mainland UK or Northern Ireland), or if your Deed Poll needs to be "legalised," your Deed Poll may need to be witnessed by a solicitor or notary public. See below for more information about “legalisation.”
  • If you are a foreign national, check with your embassy to see what is required in your home country.

We cannot provide further copies of your Deed Poll after you have applied, unless you place a new order with us. However, if you still have one copy of your Deed Poll, you can obtain a “certified” copy from a solicitor. A certified copy of your original Deed Poll will be a satisfactory alternative for most record-holders if you do not want to send your original through the post. If you do not have any remaining copies of your Deed Poll and you need one, you must apply for a new one.

Additionally, your Deed Poll may have to be “legalised” if it must be used and recognised abroad. For more information on getting your Deed Poll Certified or Legalised, or how to obtain duplicate copies of your Deed Poll, visit our "Deed Poll guide" page.


The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram