How to Change Name on Your British Passport

There are many reasons why you might need to change your name on your passport.

For example, if you changed your name because:

  • You got married
  • You got divorced
  • You changed your gender
  • You just decided it was time for a change

You will need to update your passports information.

If you want to change you name via deed poll click on the button below


If you’re unfamiliar with the process, the task of changing your name on your passport can seem complicated.

But if you’re equipped with the right information and you go through the process step-by-step, you may find that it is more straightforward than you expected.

In this article, we’ll provide you with everything you need to know about changing your name on your UK passport.

We’ll start with an overview of the application process, and then discuss what you need to do for specific situations that might require you to change your name in your passport.

How do I change the name on my passport after I change my name?

British Passport

If you change your name, your gender, or if your appearance changes significantly, you’ll have to apply for a new passport.

Unlike your UK driver’s license, you’re not required by law to update your name on your passport.

But if you want to travel under your new name, you won’t be allowed to board flights unless the name on your bookings matches your passport name.

Let’s take a look at some of the details involved with applying for a new passport.

Applying for a new British passport

You’ll have to apply for a new passport from HM Passport Office. We have included information on contacting HM's Passport Office below.

When you get your new passport, it’ll be valid for ten years, and the time left on your current passport won’t be added on. So, even though you’re only changing your name, it’ll be like getting a brand new passport.

You can apply for a new passport online or through a paper application.

Paper application

The cost of the paper application is £ 85.00.

You can visit a post office near you that provides Check and Send services to get the process started.

Post Office Check and Send service

Check and Send is a service that is offered by some post offices.

Just like it sounds, someone at the post office will check your application to make sure everything looks good.

With the Check and Send service, you get the following from the post office

  •       They make sure that you’ve filled out the application correctly.
  •       They make sure you’ve included all the required documents and photos.
  •       They make sure you’re paying the right fee.
  •       Special delivery of your passport application to the HM Passport Office.

To get started with Check and Send, visit the Post Office branch finder page to find a post office location with passport services near you.

On the branch finder page, do the following:

  •       Enter your postcode, town, or street name
  •       From the drop-down menu of services, choose “Passport Check & Send- Paper.”

Once you find a post office in your area with Check and Send, visit them to get the application process started. They will be able to provide you with a paper application form.

The Check and Send service costs £16.00 on top of the application fee. You can pay with cash, credit or debit cards, or by postal order.

Online application

British man applying for passport online

Here’s a link to the online application for a new UK passport. The cost is £ 75.00.

You can also use the post office’s Check and Send service for digital applications. On the branch finder page, select “Passport Check & Send- Digital” under services.

Just like the paper application, the Check and Send costs an additional £16.00 on top of the regular passport application fee.

How to contact the HM Passport Office

The passport advice line is set up by HM Passport Office for people who need help with the application process, or for those who have any complaints.

So, if you have any questions about your application, whether it’s regarding filling out the form, or about the documents you need for changing your name in your passport, you can get in touch with them.

Phone number: 0300 222 0000

From outside the UK: +44 (0) 300 222 0000

By textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222

Operating hours:

Monday to Friday: 8 AM to 8 PM

Weekends and public holidays: 9 AM to 5:30 PM

Postal address:

Her Majesty's Passport Office

PO Box 767



Otherwise, you can also use HM’s online inquiry form for help with your application.

What documents do I need to change my name on my passport?

Besides the application form, photos, and the other regular documents required to support your passport application, you might also need a deed poll to change your name in specific situations.

Let’s discuss what is a deed poll, when you need one to change your passport name, and how to get one.

What is a deed poll?

In the UK, you’re allowed to change your name for any reason you wish. A deed poll is a document that makes your new name official, so you can start using it at the bank, on your driver’s license, passport, etc.

A deed poll is a document that demonstrates the following:

  •       You have chosen a new name
  •       You have given up your old name
  •       The date you started using your new name

One thing to note is that even though a deed poll proves that you’ve changed your name, you will not be able to use a deed poll alone for international travel. To cross borders or to board flights, your passport name must be updated to the name you’re using to travel.

When do I need a deed poll to change my name on my passport?

We’ll discuss each situation in further detail below, but here is a quick summary of when you’ll need a deed poll for a passport name change.

You need a deed poll for a passport name change:

  •       If you’ve decided to change your name for any reason with a deed poll
  •       In case of a separation where the divorce isn’t finalized
  •       Your first passport where your name is different than that on your birth certificate
  •       Change of name on your child’s passport

You typically do not need a deed poll in the following cases to update your name on your passport:

  •       After a marriage or civil partnership
  •       Following a divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership

If you’ve changed your name only using a deed poll (without marriage, divorce, etc.), then you’ll require one of the following additional documents in your new name (along with the deed poll) to prove that your name change is genuine.

  •       Driver’s license
  •       Tax record
  •       Payslip from your employer
  •       Educational certificate or record
  •       Voting card
  •       Bank statement
  •       Medical card
  •       Official government letter

Another thing to note is that if you’re a dual citizen, you may want to check with the embassy of the other country about the impact of your deed poll on your other passport.

If you have any questions about your application process or required documents, you can reach out to the passport advice line, as explained above.

How do I get a deed poll?

There isn’t an official government office where you can go and get a deed poll.

You have a couple of options when it comes to getting a deed poll if you need it to change your name in your passport.

You could use our simple online application process to apply for your deed poll. Our application process is fast, secure, and easy!

Alternatively, you can go to a solicitor’s office and ask them to help with the deed poll office.

What about my unexpired visas on my current passport?

Typically, when you get a new passport, the unexpired visas in your old passport remain valid throughout their remaining validity period.

But in the case of a name change, your existing visas may become invalid depending on the issuing country. If you have valid visas under your previous name, you can contact the embassy of the issuing country and ask them if you need to apply for a new visa.

How do I change my name on my British passport when I get married?

couple that got married

When you get married or join a civil partnership, you will get a certificate with your new name.

You can use your marriage or civil partnership certificate to apply for a new passport from HM's Passport Office.

As we explained before, you don’t need a deed poll if you have your marriage or civil partnership certificate, as the certificate itself serves as proof of your new name.

One of the unique things about a “newlywed passport” is that you can apply for it up to three months before your marriage or civil partnership ceremony.

But your old passport will no longer remain valid, and your new passport will be post-dated. Some countries may not issue visas for post-dated passports.

If you want to get a head start on your new passport and apply in advance, you have to send in a ‘passports for newlyweds and civil partners’ form. The form has to be signed by a religious minister or registrar who is planning on conducting the ceremony.

Exceptions when you may need a deed poll after getting married

There are some exceptions where you may need a deed poll even in the case of your name change due to marriage or civil partnership.

For example, if you’ve lost your certificate and don’t want to apply for a new one, you can change your name with a deed poll. Or if you got married in a different country and your certificate is not in English, it might be simpler to get a deed poll instead of having your certificate translated.

For a full list of different requirements based on what name you choose to use after you get married, check out our article on deed polls after marriage.

How do I change my name on my passport following a separation?

image of broken heart

In the UK, a separation happens when a married couple decides to separate, but they do not end their marriage. The marriage isn’t officially over until a divorce is finalized. 

A couple has to be married for at least one year to get a divorce in the UK. But there is no time requirement for a separation.

So, if you want to go back to using your previous name after separation before your divorce is finalized, you’ll need to get a deed poll.

Once you get a deed poll, you can have your name changed in your passport.

How do I change my name on my passport following a divorce?

If your divorce is finalized, you won’t need a deed poll to change your name on your passport.

You can apply for a new passport from the HM Passport Office and include the following documents:

  •       A signed statement saying you’ve gone back to using your previous surname “for all purposes” and that you will not be using your married or civil partnership name for any reason
  •       Your birth certificate
  •       Proof that you’re using your new name (Payslip, bank statement, official letter, etc.)
  •       A marriage or civil partnership certificate displaying both names
  •       A final order or decree absolute with both names

Remember that if you have any questions about the process, you can always make use of the passport advice line.

You do have the option to apply for a passport name change with a deed poll after a divorce since you’re allowed to get one for any reason.

How do I change my name on my passport following a gender change?

When you apply for a passport with your new name following a gender change, include the following with your application.

Send one of the following documents with your passport application:

  •       A new birth or adoption certificate that shows your acquired gender
  •       A Gender Recognition Certificate
  •       A letter from your medical professional to confirm that your gender change is likely to be permanent

If you pick the option to send a letter from your doctor, you’ll also need to include both of the following documents to change your name in your new passport.

  •       Proof of your name change (deed poll, for example)
  •       Proof that you’re using your new name (bank statement, payslip, official letter, etc.)

Will my new passport mention my previous name?

Your new passport will typically not mention your previous name, except in some very limited situations. For instance, if you got married and continued to use your maiden name professionally, or if your new name would not normally be considered by HM Passport Office to be a name, then your previous name will be noted as an observation in your new passport.

How do I change the name on my child's passport?

mother and child

To change the name on your child’s passport, you’ll need to send in a deed poll along with the passport application.

You’ll also need to send the following, in addition to the deed poll.

  •       Your child’s old passport
  •       Proof that your child is using the new name (NHS record, school record, child benefits, etc.)
  •       Written consent from anyone who has parental responsibility for your child
  •       Two new photos of your child if applying through post

How to get started with the process to change your name in your passport

Hopefully, by now you have a good understanding of what’s required to change your name in your British passport.

To get started with the application process, you can follow this method.

Step 1: Decide if you need a deed poll

You need a deed poll if:

  •       You changed your name with a deed poll for any reason
  •       You need to change the name on your child’s passport
  •       You’re separated but not yet divorced, and you want to change your name in your passport
  •       This is the first time you’re applying with a name different than what is on your birth certificate
  •       You’ve decided to use a deed poll because your marriage certificate is lost, or it’s not in English, etc.
  •       You’ve changed your gender, and you’re sending a letter from your doctor with your passport application

If you need a deed poll, check out our fast, easy, and secure application process.

Step 2: Decide if you want to apply by post or online

Once you decide whether you want to apply by post or online, remember that a post office near you may offer Check and Send services for both paper and digital applications.

You may want to make use of a Check and Send service to make sure that you include all the required information, documents, fees, etc.

Here is a link to the branch finder to help you get started.

Step 3: Gather additional documents

Gather any additional documents for your passport application, like in the cases of marriage, divorce, gender change, or a child’s passport name change.

Step 4: Apply for your new passport

Once you have all the documents and information, you’re ready to apply for your new passport. Remember, if you get stuck at any point or have complaints about the process, the HM Passport Office is there to help.

The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram