Changing Names With Your Bank

March 4, 2021
UK Bank

After you have legally changed your name, you will need to update your personal details with different institutions including your bank. 

You will be asked to present originals or certified copies of documents that show your name change in addition to a government-issued ID, but the exact requirements and processes may vary by institution. 

Here’s everything you need to know about changing your name with the five biggest banking groups in the UK.

If you want to change your name, we at the UK Deed Poll Office can make the process quick and easy.

How to Change Your Name With UK Banks 

Although you can often update details such as username/ID number, passcode, and contact information using your bank’s online services, most banks will not allow you to change your name online or over the phone in order to prevent identity theft and fraud. 

If you have officially changed your name, your bank will usually require you to visit your nearest branch in person and show documents that support your name change. Note, however, that due to COVID-19 restrictions, some of the branches may be currently closed or have limited hours and services. Make sure to check the opening hours of your local branch and make an appointment before visiting. 

The process of changing names on your accounts, cards, and statements varies from bank to bank. Below, we tell you what documents you need to submit if you want to change your name with the biggest banks in the UK. 


To change your name with Barclays, you must be able to show the original documentation, including:  

  • Deed poll signed by the person named on the document. The deed poll must be witnessed, but there is no need to have it certified by a solicitor.  
  • Statutory declaration. The document must include the signature of the named person, witnessed by a solicitor or magistrate.
  • Marriage certificate issued in the UK or a certified English translation of a foreign marriage certificate
  • Decree absolute in the case of divorce
  • Civil partnership schedule, or
  • Final court order in the case of civil partnership dissolution.

In addition, you will be asked to present a supporting document to confirm your identity, such as a driver’s license or passport.

You must bring the original documents to your local bank branch

Contact information

Phone: 0345 734 5345 or +44 24 7684 2100 from outside the UK. 

Chat: Barclays app chat function (support available 24/7). 

For other Barclays products, call one of the following numbers: 

  • Barclaycard: 0800 151 0900 
  • Mortgage: 0800 022 4022 
  • Currency account: 0345 975 7575
  • Aviva home insurance: 0800 051 3533 (policy codes starting MPH or 0800 015 0246
    Finer home insurance: 0800 051 0693 (policy codes starting MHO/BHI/BCI/WCI)
    Premium Home Insurance by Hiscox: 0800 781 3065
  • Life insurance: 0800 046 6171 (Aviva) or 03700 104 080 (Legal & General)
  • Travel insurance: 0330 102 6417 
  • Payment protection insurance or Barclays income insurance: 0800 056 1414.


If you wish to update your name with HSBC, you are required to have one of the following documents, depending on the reason for the name change:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree absolute
  • Civil partnership schedule
  • Final court order in the case of civil partnership dissolution
  • Witnessed deed poll or statutory declaration for all other types of name change.

For name changes for reasons other than marriage and divorce, you must be able to show supporting documents as proof of a new name, such as a driver’s license or passport. Your bank representative will take photocopies and give you back the originals. 

To change your name with HSBC, you must visit your nearest branch in person. 

Contact information

HSBC Contact Center: 03457 404 404 or +44 1226 261 010 from outside the UK. 

Lloyds Banking Group

Lloyds Banking Group allows you to change your name if you present the following evidence: 

  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil partnership registration document
  • Divorce papers or decree absolute and either a marriage certificate, birth certificate, or deed poll/copy of the entry in the register of corrections (Scotland)
  • Adoption certificate
  • Deed poll/copy of the entry in the register of corrections (Scotland)
  • Amended birth certificate issued by Registrar General, Edinburgh (Scotland), or
  • Statutory declaration signed by the named person and witnessed by a solicitor or magistrate.

If you have accounts or other products and services with Lloyds Bank Credit Cards, Lloyds Bank Insurance, or Lloyds Bank Private Banking, the bank will automatically inform them of your new name and other details. 

In order to change your name with Lloyds Banking Group, you must visit your nearest local branch in person. 

Contact information

Phone: 0345 602 1997 or +44 1733 347 007 from outside the UK.

NatWest Group

When informing NatWest Group about your name change, you must present legal proof, such as:

  • Deed poll or statutory declaration (both registered and non-registered deed poll documents are accepted)
  • Marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
  • In the case of divorce or civil partnership dissolution, any of the below:
  • Decree absolute and birth certificate
  • Decree absolute and passport
  • Final dissolution order and birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate that contains both maiden and married names, if you are reverting to maiden name.

You will be asked to provide original documents in addition to your debit card, pin, and proof of ID.

For security reasons, name-changing service is not available online or over the phone, and you are required to visit a NatWest Group branch in person. You can find your nearest branch using the bank’s branch locator.

Contact information

NatWest Group Support Center: 03457 888 444 or +44 (0) 179 224 4609 from outside the UK. 


If you need to change your name with Tesco, you must send your request in writing. Your letter has to include the following details:

  • Your account number or your bank card number 
  • List of all the products you have with Tesco, including current accounts, saving accounts, debit and credit cards, loans, and insurance
  • Confirmation that you want to change your name
  • Your new and old signatures.

Depending on the reason for your name change, you need to attach the following documentation:

  • Marriage certificate, either the original or a certified copy issued by the registrar
  • Deed poll certificate, either the original document or a certified copy
  • Decree absolute in the case of divorce. This must be the original document. If you are changing back to your maiden name, you will also be asked to provide the necessary evidence, as the decree absolute usually doesn't confirm the maiden name. Proof of your maiden name includes your birth certificate, a certified copy of your new passport, or a driver’s license.

Once the bank receives your letter and supporting documentation, they will scan your certificates and send you back the originals. The entire process takes up to ten business days.

Contact information

The address where you should send your request depends on the product you have with the bank.

  • Current account: Tesco Bank, PO Box 17430, Edinburgh, EH12 1HZ
  • Credit card: Tesco Bank, PO Box 27028, Glasgow, G2 9FT
  • Loan: Tesco Bank, PO Box 27014, Glasgow, G2 9FE
  • Savings: Tesco Bank, PO Box 27017, Glasgow, G2 9FH
  • Mortgage: Tesco Bank, PO Box 1214, Cheltenham, GL50 9WL

Customer service: 0345 835 3353 or +44 141 278 6081 from outside of the UK.  

How Do I Change My Name?


Ready to Change Your Name?

The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram