How to Change Your Name

Want to know how to change your name?

Here's how it works:

  1. Apply for an Adult Deed Poll or Child Deed Poll by filling out the appropriate online application form, and pay with our secure payment system.
  2. Provided you order before 3pm (Monday - Friday), we will process your application the same day and dispatch your Deed Poll within two working days.  
  3. Upon receipt of your physical Deed Poll and duplicate copies, sign and witness all copies.
  4. You may need extra copies of your Deed Poll to change your name with some of these relevant agencies. (Listed)

It's that simple! Thank you for considering the UK Deed Poll Office to help facilitate your name change. We're extremely proud to offer superior customer service; please don't hesitate to contact us with any queries before beginning your Deed Poll application process.




  • Click on the “Apply Now” button in the top menu of this website. This will direct you to our online application and secure payment/checkout page. Here, you will provide some details about yourself and payment for our Deed Poll service.
  • We accept most credit and debit cards
  • Once you have clicked on the “Order Deed Poll” button, we will send you confirmation of your order by email. If you have ordered your Deed Poll before 3pm on a working day, we will send you this email on the same day.


  • We will send you your Deed Poll in the post, along with any duplicate copies that you ordered. The envelope will include our guide on how to properly sign and witness your Deed Poll. Additionally, the envelope will include a list of organisations you should consider notifying of your name change, and our draft covering letter.
  • If you ordered your Deed Poll before 3pm on a working day, provided your delivery address is in the UK, we will send you these documents within 2 working days by First Class Post.


  • Upon receipt of your Deed Poll and duplicates, you should sign, date and have them witnessed in accordance with our instructions document entitled “How to Execute Your Deed Poll”.
  • Review the instructions document entitled “List of Bodies to Notify". This will help you decide which bodies and organisations you should contact about your name change. Use our document entitled “Draft Covering Letter” to write to the relevant bodies to notify them of your change of name, and request that they send you any relevant updated documents (such as your passport, driving licence, bank cards, etc).

Change Your Name With UK Deed Poll Office

The UK Deed Poll Office is proud to provide excellent service and facilitate your name change at a low cost. We will provide you with a well-presented Deed Poll, printed on high-quality paper, and sent to you in a plain envelope to preserve confidentiality. As an online Deed Poll service provider, who has issued thousands of Deed Polls, your Deed Poll will be accepted by government offices and relevant organisations, subject to our Terms & Conditions, or your money back.



Additional information about changing your name

In order to change your name, your deed poll will declare the following three statements: 

  • You will no longer be using your previous name
  •  You will always be using your new name
  •  You want other people to address you by your new name

Why Do People Change Their Names?

A name is the most personal part of any person. It is how other people relate to us and it gives us a sense of identity. Our name is also connected to us as it graces all of our official documentation. 

So why do some people choose to change their name?   

Some of the most common reasons that people change their name is due to important reasons such as marriage or divorce. Of course, some people never really connect to their given name. For these people changing their name is an expression of identity and remaking themselves.

Whatever your reason is for changing your name, we are here to help make the process easy and worry free.  

Restrictions on changing your name

In the UK, there are some restrictions when it comes to choosing your new name. Although you always have the right to change your name, the name you choose may not be accepted if it causes public offence or infringes on intellectual property rights.

Changing your name to a single name

There is no law stopping you from being known by a single name (e.g. Adele) or mononym, but there is a risk that official government offices (HM Passport Office) may decline to update your official documents to your new name.

To ensure that your deed poll is accepted, we do not allow applications for single names.

Names that cause public offence

If your new name causes public offence, it might be declined. This includes names with the following:

  • profanity
  • sexually explicit references
  • inappropriate religious connotations
  • language which is vulgar, offensive or libelous to an individual
  • names associated with criminal gangs or activity

Creating a new name that is copyrighted

While names are not subject to copyright law, you cannot use a name if it results in deception. For example, if you changed your name to Madonna and started to sell perfumes using that name, this will be an infringement of intellectual property. Additionally, this can lead to issues when applying for a new passport, as the HM Passport Office will not issue you a passport if your new name is associated with a trade mark.

Other reasons your name change may not be accepted

Your new name may be rejected if they contain:

  • Numbers
  • Symbols 
  • Punctuation marks. 

However, names that contain apostrophes (O'Brian) and hyphens (double-barrelled surnames) are allowed.

Restrictions on adding titles to your name

Adding academic titles to your name can be rejected if you do not have documentation showing that you can use the title (Dr). This restriction includes titles of nobility and religious titles such as Lord, Lady or Sir.

How many times can you change your name?

You can change your name whenever you want. There are no restrictions related to the amount of times you can change your name.

Can you change your name without going to court?

Yes! The reason our deed poll process is so popular among people who change their name is the simplicity involved. Simply click on the apply now button to get started.

Citizenship Considerations for Changing Your Name in the UK

If you are a UK resident but not a citizen you can still use our deed poll process to change your name. However, you should contact the embassy for your country of nationality to figure out what steps need to be taken to have your name change recognized. 

Remember, one of the requirements for changing your name in the UK is that you use your new name exclusively. Therefore, it is imperative that you know the procedure to change your name with your country of birth.   


In order to use your new name for  your passport, driving licence and on your bank cards, you will most likely need a Deed Poll. There are some circumstances in which you may be able to change your name without needing a Deed Poll, such as upon your marriage. However, even in those circumstances, it may be quicker and more convenient to use a Deed Poll. Although there are other ways to obtain a Deed Poll, these methods are likely to cost significantly more than using the UK Deed Poll Office’s easy online application and certainly do not provide the level of support we are known for. Let’s get started!

The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram