Name change Scotland: Everything you need to know if you want to change your name

If your birth is registered in Scotland or you are a subject in Scotland of an entry in the Adopted Children Register, the Gender Recognition Register or the Parental Order Register, you can apply for a name change Scotland. If you’re under 16 years of age, your application will need to be made by a qualified applicant, including:

  • A parent who is the only one with the parental responsibilities for the child
  • Both parents with parental responsibilities for the child
  • A person with parental responsibilities for the child, but is not the parent of the child

If a person is 16 years of age or over, they will have to apply by themselves.


Scotland Name Change

In Scotland, if the child’s parents were married at the time of the child’s birth or they were married after the birth, they will both have parental responsibilities for the child. This means that both parents should sign the application form. If the parents of the child are not married but registered the child’s birth on or after 4 May 2006, they will both have parental responsibility for their child and, therefore, should sign the application form. 

Any birth certificate which is issued after the recording of the name change will show the new forename and surname, and the original forename and surname will be shown separately. 

Cost of Changing Name in Scotland

Besides knowing how to change your name in Scotland, you will want to know more about the costs. If you decide to register your name with the Registry Office, the current fee for changing a name in Scotland is £40.00 for the first member of the family and £10.00 for each subsequent family member, if they are applying for a name change at the same time. 

However, keep in mind these fees are completely separated from UK Deed Poll Office costs for your Deed Poll and they are not obligatory. 

Changing Your Surname: Marriage or Civil Partnership Registration 

Regarding name change Scotland, when getting married, a woman typically assumes the surname of her husband. It’s also similar with same-sex marriages or civil partnerships. Either partner can assume the other partner’s surname or combine it with their own and have both surnames. These options are a matter of personal choice. 

If you decide to assume your partner’s surname as a result of a marriage or civil partnership registration, those who hold information about you (employer, bank, passport office, doctor) should be aware of your name change. You might have to show your marriage or civil partnership certificate to explain it. 


Reverting to Maiden Surname 

As a result of separation, divorce or civil partnership dissolution, a person might want to revert to maiden surname. If the relationship with the partner ended, and the person wants to revert to their maiden name, people who hold information need to be informed about the name change. Some organisations will ask you to show your marriage or civil partnership certificate to explain the surname change.

Changing Name Procedure

If you want to be known by a different name, you can change it to any name, as long as your intention is not to deceive or defraud anyone. Your new name can be used for all purposes once the process is done, however, you will need to provide evidence in some situations. 

It is advisable to record your name change with the Registrar General. The change of name is recorded on a public register, and anyone can access and see your name change. 

Changing the Name of a Child

When talking about name change Scotland, it can only be done by a person with parental responsibility for the child. Usually, parents are the ones who have the right to change a child’s name, but it can be any other person that has parental responsibility e.g. adoptive parents, foster carer or family member. 


The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram