Government Deed Poll

There are several different ways to obtain a deed poll if you wish to officially change your name

One of them is applying through your local council. 

Here we take a closer look at which city councils in England offer this service and what are their requirements. 

What Is a Deed Poll?

A deed poll, also referred to as a change of name deed, is legal evidence that you have changed your name in good faith. 

Anyone in the United Kingdom is entitled to change their name if they wish. While in theory, you can simply start using your new name and gradually become known by it, the deed poll serves as proof that you’re using the name publicly. It is an official declaration that you’ve given up your old name and started using a new one.

You can use the deed poll to update your name on official documents, including your passport, driving licence, and bank account. All government bodies in the UK accept a deed poll as evidence of your name change.

However, there are some circumstances in which you may not be allowed to change your name or obtain a deed poll, such as:

  • If you intend to change your name into something that may be considered rude, offensive, or blasphemous.
  • If your new name implies or includes a title, such as Lord, Lady, Duke, or Duchess.
  • If you have chosen a name that includes numbers, symbols, or punctuation marks that don’t have a phonetic significance.
  • If your new name is impossible to pronounce.
  • If the name doesn’t include at least one forename and one surname.

It is important to note that you can enrol your deed poll only if you were born in England or Wales. You will have to follow different name change procedures if you were born in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Foreign nationals living in the United Kingdom can change their name, but they must check with their own national authority whether they will accept the change. Likewise, British nationals living abroad must ensure that the country they are residing in will accept the deed poll.

Creating a Deed Poll With Your Local City Council

There are different ways to create a deed poll, from enlisting the help of a solicitor to using online services such as the UK Deed Poll Office. In addition, some local city councils can help you create a deed poll if you wish to change your name. 

The process of applying for a name change through your local city council usually consists of downloading and completing an online name change form and paying the deed poll application fee. You are then asked to submit the form online or send it to the council by post. 

Once the council receives your application, a representative will contact you to arrange an appointment. At the same time, they will let you know what additional documents you need to bring. These may include one or more of the following:

  • Birth certificate showing your original name
  • Valid passport
  • Proof of current address dated within the last three months
  • Driving licence, bank statement, council tax, or utility bill
  • Court order or parental responsibility order
  • Naturalisation certificate
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Decree absolute or civil partnership dissolution
  • Late spouse or civil partner’s death certificate.

All the documents must be originals and not photocopies. They will be returned to you after you have obtained your deed poll at the end of your appointment.

You should keep in mind that certain restrictions may apply. For legal reasons, most local councils can only consider applications for change of name from British citizens over the age of 18 (and in some cases children under the age of 16). Anyone else is advised to consult a solicitor.

Deed poll documents prepared by local city councils are as legally valid as unenrolled deeds issued in England and Wales. Moreover, these documents are suitable for enrolling your deed poll with the Royal Courts of Justice if you wish to do so.

Local Council Deed Poll Information 

Several city councils in England offer change of name deed services. Here is what you need to know before applying.

Birmingham City Council 

To request a name change with Birmingham City Council, you can start by downloading the change of name deed application form. You should print and send the completed form by post along with the payment of the deed poll application fee. 

As soon as they receive your request and the payment, the council will prepare your deed poll and contact you to arrange an appointment where you will be asked to check and sign the document. The deed poll will also be signed by a registration officer and will be stored indefinitely in the Birmingham City Council’s repository.

A standard adult deed poll costs £61 and any additional copies that are issued at the time of the appointment cost £11. The fee for replacement copies issued after the initial application is £20.

Contact information

Address: Birmingham Register Office, Holliday Street, Birmingham, B1 1TJ

Phone: 0121 675 1000

Email: [email protected]

Website: Birmingham City Council 

Coventry City Council

To change your name or the name of your child with Coventry City Council, you need to complete the online application form, print it, and send it to the council by post. 

Once your application and payment are received, the council will prepare your deed poll and set an appointment at Coventry Register Office. They will also let you know which documents you will need to bring. During the appointment, you will be asked to sign the deed in the presence of the deputy or superintendent registrar. 

A single deed poll application with Coventry City Council, including storage in a secure room, costs £60, additional copies at the time of appointment cost £10 each, and a replacement of lost or damaged deed poll £25.

Contact information

Address: Cheylesmore Manor House, Manor House Drive, Coventry, CV1 2ND

Phone: 024 7683 3136 or 07943 508349

Email: [email protected]

Website: Coventry City Council

Doncaster Borough Council

Doncaster Borough Council doesn’t provide any downloadable online application forms. If you would like them to prepare your deed poll and book an appointment, you will need to call the council at the number below for more information. 

The cost for a change of name deed is £50, payable when you book your appointment. You may obtain additional copies of the document for £15 each.

Contact information

Address: The Register Office, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU

Phone: [email protected]

Email: 01302 735222

Website: Doncaster Borough Council

Dudley Borough Council

If you are a Dudley Borough resident, you can simply download and complete a deed poll application form, available in Word and PDF versions. This service requires online payment and after you complete the form, you will be taken to the secure payment portal. You can then submit your form online. 

After receiving your application, the council will prepare your deed poll and contact you to arrange an appointment. They will also inform you what additional documents you will need to bring to the registrar’s office. You will be asked to sign the deed in the presence of the superintendent registrar. At the end of the appointment, you will receive your deed poll document and certified copies you requested.

A single deed poll document including storage in a secure vault costs £50, and additional copies cost £11.

Contact information

Address: Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council, Council House, Priory Road, Dudley, DY1 1HF

Phone: n/a

Email: n/a

Website: Dudley Borough Council

Leeds City Council

You can start your application process by downloading and completing the change of name form. Leeds City Council allows you to download both adult and child deed polls. You will need to complete one form for each applicant.

You can then pay the application fee and book the appointment by calling or requesting a phone call by email. There is no need to send the form, you can simply bring it with you to your appointment, along with any supporting documentation.

A single deed poll issued by Leeds City Council costs £50. Additional documents within the same application (those for other family members, for example) cost £25 each. In addition, you can purchase extra copies of your deed poll for £25 within ten years of the date of the original deed.

Contact information

Address: Merrion House, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds, LS2 8LX

Phone: 0113 222 4408

Email: [email protected]

Website: Leeds City Council

Rochdale Borough Council

Rochdale Borough Council offers a change of name deed service to adults over the age of 18 and, in certain circumstances, to children under the age of 16.

There are no downloadable application forms on the council’s website, so you will need to call them for more information and to book an appointment. A change of name deed will be prepared and witnessed by a registration officer. You will receive your name deed at the end of your appointment.

An adult name deed costs £55, a child name deed £60, and a family name deed for 2 adults and 2 children is £178. Each additional copy costs £13. Rochdale Borough Council will keep a permanent record of your change of name deed and you can apply for replacement copies any time if you lose the original document. 

Contact information

Address: Rochdale Register Office, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale OL16 1XU

Phone: 01706 924784

Email: [email protected]

Website: Rochdale Borough Council

Wigan Borough Council

If you wish to obtain a deed poll through Wigan Borough Council, you have to request an appointment with the Wigan Register office. After that, you can complete and submit the online application form, indicating both your old and new names. You will be contacted by a member of staff to arrange an appointment where the document will be signed and witnessed by a Wigan Borough Council registration officer.

The standard adult name deed fee is £60, while additional copies cost £12. They are available at the time the original deed is made. Replacement copies that are issued at a later date cost £30. A copy of your deed poll is retained by the Wigan and Leigh Registration Service indefinitely. If you lose the original document, you can apply for a replacement copy at any time.

Contact information

Address: Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council, Town Hall, Library Street, Wigan, Greater Manchester, WN1 1YN Phone: 1942 244991

Email: n/a

Website: Wigan Borough Council

Creating a Deed Poll Online

If you don’t wish to use your local city council services, creating a deed poll online is a simple and inexpensive option. 

The UK Deed Poll Office is one of the most trusted deed poll services in the country. Having issued thousands of deed polls to both residents and citizens of the United Kingdom, we have extensive experience and valuable insight into the current laws, legislations, and restrictions that apply when it comes to changing your name. 

Our application process is fast, easy, and secure. All you need to do is click on the Apply Now button on the top menu and take a few minutes to complete the application form. If you order a deed poll before 3 pm, we will process your application the same day. The original document and any certified copies you have ordered will be dispatched by First Class Post day and you will receive the deed poll in a matter of days. 

Our deed polls are made using sturdy gold parchment paper and are stamped with our official seal. They come with helpful guidance, including a list of all potential record-holders you may want to notify of your name change, such as utility companies, doctors, dentists, and banks. We guarantee that our deed poll will be accepted by all government and private institutions as evidence of your new name, otherwise, we will give you the money back.

The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram