Signing/Witnessing/Execution - UK Deed Poll Office


Once you receive your Deed Poll, you will have to sign it and have it witnessed – the legal term for this is “execution”.  With your Deed Poll, we will send you a further document that will tell you how to execute your Deed Poll and any duplicate copies so that your change of name becomes fully valid.  It is solely your responsibility to ensure that this takes place.  The procedure is relatively simple and the following basic rules apply:

  • If you are a British and a resident in mainland UK or Northern Ireland, your witness must be aged 18 or over, know you and not be suffering from any mental incapacity.
  • Your witness can be a friend, neighbour or colleague.
  • Your witness must be present when you sign your Deed Poll.
  • If you are British and are living abroad or anywhere other than mainland UK or Northern Ireland, or if your Deed Poll needs to be “legalised” (for instance if you are getting married abroad), your Deed Poll may need to be witnessed by a solicitor or notary public.  See below for more information about “legalisation”.
  • If you are a foreign national, you should check with your embassy to see what is required in your home country.

We cannot provide further copies of your Deed Poll after you have applied, unless you place a new order with us.  Alternatively, if you still have one copy of your Deed Poll, you can obtain a “certified” copy of it from a solicitor (see below).  A certified copy of your original Deed Poll will be a satisfactory alternative for most record-holders, if you do not want to send your original through the post.  If you do not have any remaining copy of your Deed Poll and you need one, you will have to apply for a new one.

Certification of your Deed Poll

A “certified copy”, is a photocopy of an original (or duplicate) that has been “certified” as a true copy of the original by a solicitor, notary public, Commissioner for Oaths or Justice of the Peace.  These will all charge a fee for certifying a Deed Poll, but the fees vary.  A solicitor will generally charge between £5 and £15 to certify a document like a Deed Poll; a notary public will generally charge more.

Legalisation of your Deed Poll

Documents generally have to be “legalised” when they have to be used and recognised abroad.  This is most likely to apply to a Deed Poll when people are getting married abroad, or when foreign nationals who are living in the UK want subsequently to change the name in their foreign passport.

Legalisation has to be carried out by the Foreign Office and they will only do so if the document has either been witnessed by a solicitor or notary public, or certified.

How to apply

Apply now using our fast, simple and secure online application form and make payment with Paypal or Credit Card.
Once we have received your order we will print your Deed Poll and have it sent out on the same day via Royal Mail 1st class completely free of charge within UK.
Once you have received your Deed Poll kit, you should get it signed and witnessed in accordance with our guidance notes supplied to you with the order kit.