Do I Need a Solicitor to Change My Name by Deed Poll?

May 18, 2023

Changing your name is a significant decision, and whether it's for personal reasons or due to marriage, divorce, or other life events, the process can seem daunting. One of the most common methods for legally changing your name in many countries is through a deed poll service. But do you really need a solicitor to help you with this process? In this article, we'll explore the ins and outs of changing your name by using a deed poll and whether or not you should seek the assistance of a solicitor.

What is a Deed Poll?

A deed poll is a legal document that allows an individual to change their name. It serves as a formal declaration of your intention to abandon your old name and adopt a new one. In some countries, a deed poll is required for official purposes, on official documents such as updating your passport, driving license, birth certificate and other identification documents.

Once you have completed the deed poll process, you must inform relevant organizations and authorities of your name change, including banks, utility companies, royal courts, and government agencies.

The Process of Changing Your Name by Deed Poll

The process of changing your name by deed poll typically involves the following steps:

Choose Your New Name: This is the most crucial step, as it determines the legal name that you will be known by moving forward. Make sure you choose a name that you are comfortable with and meets any legal requirements in your country.

Prepare the Deed Poll Document: The deed poll document is a public record legally binding declaration of your intention to change your name. It must include specific information, such as your old name, your new name, your address, and the date of the change. Some countries may have specific name deed poll application templates or forms that you must use.

Sign the Deed Poll: You must sign and date the deed poll in the presence of a witness. The witness must also sign the deed polls and provide their details, such as name, address, and occupation.

Notify Relevant Organizations and Authorities: Once you have completed and signed the deed poll, you must inform all relevant organizations and authorities of your name change. This includes updating all your official documents and identification documents, such as your passport and driving license, as well as notifying banks, utility companies, and other service providers.

Keep the Original Deed Poll Safe: It's essential to keep the original deed poll document safe, as you may need to produce it as proof of your name change in the future.

Do You Need a Solicitor?

In most cases, you do not need a solicitor to legally change your name by deed poll. The process to issue deed polls is relatively straightforward, and many people choose to handle it themselves. However, there are some instances where seeking the advice of a solicitor might be beneficial:

Complex Situations: If you are dealing with a particularly complex situation, such as changing the name of a child or handling a name change due to adoption, it may be helpful to consult with a solicitor who specializes in this area.

Legal Advice: A solicitor can provide legal advice on the implications of changing your name and ensure that you are fully informed before proceeding with the process. They can also help you understand any restrictions on the choice of names and advise on the correct procedure for updating all your documents and identification documents.

Preparation of Deed Poll: While there are templates and forms available online, a solicitor can ensure that the deed poll is correctly prepared and meets all legal requirements. This can help avoid any potential issues down the line.

Witnessing Your Signature: In some cases, a solicitor may be required to witness your signature on the deed poll document. This is usually only necessary if the deed poll is being used for specific purposes or legal documents, such as transferring property or updating a will.

The Cost of Hiring a Solicitor

The cost of hiring a solicitor to help with your name change by deed poll will vary depending on the complexity of your situation and the level of assistance you require. Generally, solicitors charge an hourly rate or a fixed fee for their services. It's essential to discuss the costs upfront and obtain a quote before proceeding.

DIY Deed Poll vs. Using a Solicitor

Ultimately, the decision to handle your name change by deed poll yourself or seek the assistance of a solicitor comes down to your personal preferences, circumstances, and budget. If you feel confident in your ability to navigate the process and are comfortable with the legal requirements, a DIY approach may be suitable for you. However, if you prefer the reassurance of professional advice and assistance, hiring a solicitor might be worth the investment.


In most cases, you do not need a solicitor to change your name by deed poll. The process is generally straightforward, and many people choose to handle it themselves. However, there are instances where seeking the advice and assistance of a solicitor can be beneficial, such as complex situations or specific advice when legal advice is needed.

Before deciding whether to hire a solicitor, consider your specific circumstances, your confidence in navigating the process, and your budget. Remember that while hiring a solicitor can provide peace of mind and ensure that the official document for your deed poll is correctly prepared, it does come at a cost. Weigh the pros and cons carefully before making your decision, and good luck in beginning this new chapter in your life under your chosen name!

If you are looking to change your name via deed poll here link to get started.

How Do I Change My Name?


Ready to Change Your Name?

The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram