Change Name and Gender on Passport

December 4, 2022

In the UK, you are allowed to legally change your name and gender on most official documents. Read on to find out what documents are necessary if you wish to apply for changes in your passport.

Gender Change on Passport

The United Kingdom legally recognises the person's gender that was assigned at birth and documented on the birth certificate. The acquired or preferred gender is recognised only after you have been granted a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC). 

Note that you are not required to have had gender reassignment surgery, hormone therapy, or any other type of treatment in order to legally change your gender. 

Required documents when applying for a new passport

If you have transitioned to a new gender and wish to apply for a new British passport, you will need to provide one of the following documents: 

  • A Gender Recognition Certificate
  • A new birth or adoption certificate showing your acquired gender, or
  • A letter from your physician or medical consultant confirming that your change of gender is likely to be permanent.

This means that you can apply for a passport in your acquired gender even if you have not obtained a Gender Recognition Certificate or have had a gender reassignment. 

Birth or adoption certificate in the acquired gender

If you have a full birth or adoption certificate that includes details of your parents or adopted parents in your acquired gender, you need to attach this document to your application. There is no need to provide a birth or adoption certificate in your birth gender.

Your new passport will show your name and acquired gender as indicated on your passport application. It will not make any reference to your birth gender or any previous names in your birth gender. This applies to both the passport book and the passport chip.

Other documents

In addition to the above documents, you need to provide the following: 

  • Your old passport in your birth gender
  • A completed application form 
  • A fee of £70-150, depending on how fast you need to have the new passport.

Once you have all the documents ready, you will have to book an appointment in person at one of the UK Passport Offices. 

You can download the guide for applying for a passport as a transgender person here.

Selecting your gender

In the UK, there are currently only two recognised genders: male and female. This means that if you change your name as a non-binary person, your official ID will still indicate either an M or F.

Changing your title

If you wpuiød like to change your title as a transgender or non-binary person, you do not need a deed poll. Since titles such as Mr or Miss, as well as gender-neutral titles like Mx or Nb, are not part of your legal name, they can simply be adopted by usage. 

Processing times

Passport processing times may vary, but you should allow up to 10 weeks to receive your new travel document. If you need a passport urgently, you can apply for the Online Premium or One-Week Fast Track services.

Passport Options

You have a British passport in an acquired gender and want to renew it

If you want to renew your passport in an acquired gender, you need to fill in the application form using details relating to your acquired gender. You will need to include both your current name and any other previous names you have used in your acquired gender. However, there is no need to include any previous names in your birth gender.

You have a British passport in an acquired gender but want to change the name on your passport

When you transition from one gender to another, you may also wish to formally change your name. You can do this at any time and simply start using a new name without any legal procedure. 

If you want to change the name on your passport, you will need to apply for a new 10-year passport, even if your old one is still valid.

Note, however, that there is no law requiring you to update your passport only because your name has changed. In other words, if you change your name, your passport will remain valid until its expiration date.

Required documents

If you wish to change the name on your passport, you will have to show proof that you have formally changed your name. You can do this by providing the following:

  • Evidence that you are using your new name, for example, a payslip, or a letter from your local council
  • Evidence of your change of name, such as a deed poll.

If you have changed your name by deed poll, you will also need to attach to your application one of the following documents that show your new name:

  • Tax record
  • Bank statement
  • National identity card or equivalent
  • Visa or residence permit
  • Driving license, either from the UK or overseas
  • Medical or health card
  • Voting card
  • Employment record, for example, payslip or official letter from employer
  • Educational record, such as school report
  • Letter from a central, regional, or local government department.

You can apply for a passport in your new name online or send it by post to HM Passport Office, along with all required documentation, including your application form, photos, change of name evidence, and statutory declaration. All documents must be dated within the last three months.

For more information on how to apply for a name change, visit the UK government website.

Do I need a deed poll if I have a Gender Recognition Certificate?

A Gender Recognition Certificate is sufficient evidence of your change of name and gender if you wish to obtain a new passport. If you have a GRC or an interim certificate, you will not need to obtain a deed poll.

How Do I Change My Name?


Ready to Change Your Name?

The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram