Information REPOSITORY

Browse The UK Deed Poll's past content, and find links to updated information on each page. Please keep in mind that any information/links in the Information Repository may be out of date.

What is the difference between a Statutory Declaration and a Deed Poll?

The end result of a statutory declaration for changing your name and a deed poll are the same. However, using a statutory declaration to change your name is more expensive and harder to obtain. So what are some of the differences between a statutory declaration and a deed poll?

A Statutory Declaration is a statement that is signed in the presence of a UK solicitor or Notary Public. This declaration allows you to change your name with official organizations (banks, passports). Because it is a legal document, if you knowingly make a false declaration it could result in legal proceedings being taken against you.

All this gets very complicated and expensive (ever seen what solicitors charge) as compared to deed poll.

A Deed Poll will also allow you to legally change your name. However, the costs are far cheaper and they can be witnessed and signed by almost anyone.

With our deed poll service, there is no need for you to go to any office, everything can be done from the comfort of your own home.


To review the most current version of this information, please visit General Information. Click here to return to the Information Repository main page.

The UK Deed Poll Office is not a government agency. Our function is purely as a document provider for the self-declaration of an unenrolled deed poll. We are here to assist in your name change journey, as we have done for over 100,000 UK residents.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name. Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram