Driving Licence - UK Deed Poll Office

Driving Licence

If you change your name, you must notify the DVLA and obtain a new driving licence in your new name.

You would change the name on your driving licence by filling in the DVLA application form and sending it to the DVLA along with your current licence and all of the necessary supporting documents.  If your current licence is a paper licence, you will need to send a passport-sized photograph; if it is a photocard licence, you will not need to send a new photograph.  If your current licence is a photocard licence, you should send both the photocard and the paper counterpart.  You would still be able to drive whilst you were waiting for your new driving licence.

The easiest way to find the correct DVLA application form is to go online to www.gov.uk and follow the links for “change the name on your driving licence” on the website.  For instance, if your licence is for driving cars or motorbikes, you can download and fill in Form D1, “application for a driving licence”.  If your licence is for lorries or buses, use Form D2.

With Form D1, you also have to send proof of identity.  If you have a biometric passport (where your photograph and signature appear on the same page), you can simply input the passport number on the form.  If you do not have a biometric passport, you must send with your Form D1, one of the following as proof of identity:

  • Your full, valid, current passport; or
  • A biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals); or
  • A UK certificate of naturalisation; or
  • Your UK Birth or Adoption Certificate.

If you send your UK Birth or Adoption Certificate, you must also send one of the following:

  • Your National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number; or
  • A photocopy of the front page of your benefits book or an original benefits claim letter; or
  • P45, P60 or pay slip; or
  • Your marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute); or
  • Your college or university union card, school record or PASS CitizenCard.

If you are a pensioner, your proof of identity could be an original of one of the following:

  • A recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number; or
  • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension.

You would also have to send your original Deed Poll or a duplicate copy as evidence of your change of name.

If your licence is for cars or motorbikes, use the address DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BN.  If your licence is for lorries or buses, use DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BR.


  • Your current driving licence;
  • A passport photograph, if your current licence does not have a photograph on it;
  • Form D1 or D2, filled in;
  • Proof of identity (see above), unless you have a biometric passport (in which case you just put your passport number on the application form); and
  • Your original Deed Poll or a duplicate copy.

How to apply

Apply now using our fast, simple and secure online application form and make payment with Paypal or Credit Card.
Once we have received your order we will print your Deed Poll and have it sent out on the same day via Royal Mail 1st class completely free of charge within UK.
Once you have received your Deed Poll kit, you should get it signed and witnessed in accordance with our guidance notes supplied to you with the order kit.