Mistake in “parent’s occupation” during my child's birth registry

When I registered my child’s birth at the Register Office in England, I made a mistake in the “parent’s occupation” I gave. Can I put it right?

Yes, in England and Wales, if it is a simple mistake, such as giving the wrong address, birthplace, or parent’s occupation, you should contact the Register Office where you registered your child’s birth.  If, however, you made a more substantial mistake, such as with your child’s name, you may be referred to the General Register Office (contact the General Register Office by e-mail to corrections.re-reg@gro.gsi.gov.uk  or by telephone on 0300 123 1837 – opening hours Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8 pm, and Saturday 9 am to 4 pm).  If the mistake was substantial, then you may not be able to change the name unless you change it by Deed Poll.  We suggest that you contact the Register Office where you registered the birth and they will advise you whether or not the name change is substantial and, therefore, what you need to do.

If you registered your child’s birth in Scotland or Northern Ireland, different rules apply, and it is much simpler to amend the details on a Birth Certificate.