Civil Partnership and we want to double-barrel our surnames

Civil Partnership – I entered into a Civil Partnership and my partner and I want to double-barrel our surnames. Do I need a Deed Poll?

Yes, you will both need to apply for a Deed Poll in order to change your names.  Once you have your Deed Polls, you will both need to send them, along with your original Marriage Certificate and other relevant documents to all relevant record-holders, and ask them to update their records.  Once you have your Deed Polls, you should ensure that you keep the original Deed Polls with your original Birth Certificates and Marriage Certificate, and we advise that you order at least 10 duplicate copies of each of your Deed Polls, so that you can both quickly notify all relevant record-holders of your changes of name.  For more information, please go to the Deed Poll Information list at the top left of this page, and click on “Civil Partnership/Same-Sex Marriage” and “Marriage”.