Civil Partnership and we both double-barrelled our surnames

Civil Partnership – I entered into a Civil Partnership and my partner and I both double-barrelled our surnames by Deed Poll. We have now dissolved our Civil Partnership. How do I change my name back to my birth name?

You will need to apply for a Deed Poll to change your name back to your birth name.  You will have to send to record-holders, your original Civil Partnership Certificate, the original Final Order of Dissolution (the equivalent of a “decree absolute” in divorces between married couples) and original Deed Poll, as well as your new original Deed Poll (or duplicate copy, if you apply with us), as evidence of your changes of name.  Once you have your new Deed Poll, you should ensure that you keep both of the original Deed Polls with your original Birth Certificate and Civil Partnership Certificate.  We also advise that you order at least 10 duplicate copies of your new Deed Poll, so that you can quickly notify all relevant record-holders of your change of name.  For more information, please go to the Deed Poll Information list at the top left of this page, and click on “Civil Partnership/Same-Sex Marriage” and “Marriage”.