If I am an immigrant living in the UK, can I apply for a Deed Poll? - UK Deed Poll Office

If I am an immigrant living in the UK, can I apply for a Deed Poll?

Yes, you can apply for a Deed Poll, but you must ensure that you notify all relevant organisations in the UK of your change of name.  If, for instance, you have applied for asylum or made any other such applications, you must notify all relevant government departments that you have changed your name.

Also, you should be aware that changing your name by Deed Poll will only be effective as regards your documents and records in the UK and you should also follow the procedure that applies in your country of origin.  We recommend that you check with your Embassy or High Commission in the UK, what procedure applies in your country of origin, especially in respect of your passport.  You should ask if your country of origin would accept your change of name by Deed Poll, if they will issue a new passport and if they have any special requirements for your Deed Poll to be recognised.  For instance, they may require your Deed Poll to be witnessed by a solicitor, or “legalised”.  For more information on this topic, please go to the Deed Poll Information list at the top left of this page, and click on “Certified/Legalised/Duplicate Copies”.

Whatever the requirements are in your country of origin, you should always ensure that your passport, travel bookings and tickets are all in the same name before you travel, or you may be denied entry into a country, or refused passage on an aircraft.  Also, if your travel between countries involves use of a visa, some visas may automatically expire when a passport is renewed.  You should bear this in mind when updating your passport, if, for instance, your return to the UK depends upon the inclusion of a valid visa.