Information REPOSITORY

Browse The UK Deed Poll's past content, and find links to updated information on each page. Please keep in mind that any information/links in the Information Repository may be out of date.

Info on Registration & Certificates for Name Changes by Depol

You do not need to register your Deed Poll.

However, you should always keep the original safe, and we suggest you keep it with your Birth Certificate.  This is because you will probably in the future have to show it to organisations and/or people, in order to provide evidence that you are who you say you are.  Once you have changed your name, you will not be able to use your Birth Certificate alone to provide the necessary evidence, as you will be known by a different name from the one that appears on your Birth Certificate.

It is possible to "enrol" a Deed Poll at the Supreme Court of Judicature.  This would make a public record of your change of name, but would not make it more legally effective.  We would not recommend enrolment of your Deed Poll, for the following reasons:

  • To enrol your Deed Poll, you would have to ask a solicitor to draft the deed poll for you.  This is because the Deed Poll would then need some special clauses which a solicitor would advise you about.  As a result, the process of changing your name would be more expensive and much slower.
  • If you are married or in a civil partnership, you would have to get the written consent of your spouse or partner.
  • The court fees of an enrolment are substantial, currently £102.  This would be in addition to any solicitor’s fees for preparing the Deed Poll.
  • Upon enrolment, the details of your name change and your address would be published in the London Gazette and would be open to public inspection.  This is something you may want to avoid, especially if you are changing your name in order to prevent someone finding you.
  • Five years after a Deed Poll has been enrolled, it is transferred to The National Archives in Kew, Richmond, Surrey.  The National Archives are open to the public, and the public can therefore search through the Archives for previous name changes.

We are not allowed to reveal any details about people who have changed their name with us.  As a result, you can be completely confident that your confidentiality will be preserved by us.  However, because we have to keep your details confidential, we also cannot provide you with any further copies of a Deed Poll that you have previously ordered from us.  You must ensure that you order sufficient duplicate copies from us at the time you place your original order.  Most people order 10 duplicate copies from us, as this helps them to notify many different organisations and people at the same time.  We have put together a list of bodies/organisations that you may need to notify of your name change, and we will send you a copy of this list with your Deed Poll and other documents if you place an order for a Deed Poll with us.  The details of this list are set out below.

List of bodies/organisations to notify

  • HM Passport Office, as you will need a new passport.
  • DVLA, to change the name on your driving licence.
  • DVLA, to change the name on your vehicle registration document.
  • Banks.
  • Building Societies.
  • Credit Card providers.
  • Store Card providers.
  • Your employer/s, current and former, if you still have a pension with them.
  • HM Revenue & Customs, for tax and National Insurance details.
  • HM Land Registry, if you own any land or property.
  • The Department for Work & Pensions.
  • Insurance companies (such as house building, contents, car insurance, health insurance, life insurance, critical illness insurance).
  • Finance companies.
  • Private pension providers.
  • Utility companies (such as gas, electricity, water).
  • Service providers (such as telephone, cable TV, broadband).
  • Mobile phone network providers.
  • TV licensing.
  • Your local authority, in respect of council tax and the electoral register.
  • Your solicitor.
  • Your doctor and dentist.
  • Your or your child’s school, college or other education provider.
  • Any professional bodies or associations that you are a member of.
  • Any clubs or societies that you belong to.
  • Your Offender Manager/Probation Officer, if you have a criminal record and are on probation.
  • Your social worker, if you are serving a Community Payback Order.
  • The police, if you are on the Violent and Sex Offender Register.  You must notify the police within 3 days of your change of name, or you may be committing a criminal offence.
  • The police, if you are on the Violent and Sex Offender Register.  You must notify the police within 3 days of your change of name, or you may be committing a criminal offence.
  • The police, if you are on the Violent and Sex Offender Register.  You must notify the police within 3 days of your change of name, or you may be committing a criminal offence.


Another way to record your change of name would be to update the name on your previous certificates and other records.  However, in England and Wales, you can only change the name on your Birth Certificate in very limited circumstances, as your Birth Certificate is considered to be a “matter of fact” – it was correct at the time it was provided.  The same most usually applies to certificates of education and professional qualifications.  In Scotland and Northern Ireland, however, it is possible to change the name on your Birth Certificate in certain circumstances.  For instance, for adults, it is only possible once you have already been using your new name for at least 2 years.  In our opinion, there are also some disadvantages to changing your name on your Birth Certificate.  For instance, you may still want to prove that, in the past, your name was different, and your unchanged Birth Certificate would more easily allow you to do so.  If your birth was registered in Scotland or Northern Ireland, you can still change your name by Deed Poll.




To review the most current version of this information, please visit General Information. Click here to return to the Information Repository main page.


Join the thousands who have trusted the UK Deed Poll Office to help change their name Fill out our fast, simple, and affordable online application to receive your government-registered Deed Poll in no time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram